Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hobby, money, sanity those are needed


Now that I have dedicated myself to being a year round stay at home mom, I need a hobby.  Really would love to have a hobby that could also make some extra cash.  That has been my mission the last couple of weeks, figuring out what I could do for fun and maybe just maybe make some spending money doing it. 
Over the years I have made many craft projects; fleece blankets, kids outfits, candles, baked goods, Christmas ornaments, small lap quilts, pot holders, dish towels, hats, scarves, even a diaper cake.   Now just time to figure out what I want to make, or do I want to do just one thing.  Maybe a collection of things would be better.  Years ago I made soap in home ec in school.  I remember how fascinating it was to watch the soap take form and realize that I had made it I knew exactly what was in it.  I use to buy homemade soap in oatmeal and honey formula that was great for the skin. So that is what has led me on my latest journey.
Soap making…..just Google it and you will be amazed by the number of results that come back.  I was shocked so I started reading and some scare you to death.  The safety measures needed with Lye are scary.  You think if I have to do all that to use it how in the world am I ever going to be comfortable using it to wash anything.  Well over the last several months I have started making my own laundry soap.  This has brought huge savings to the budget along with a sense of accomplishment and joy in making it.  Because of this I think my next venture is going to be homemade soap.
I believe that I might just start with a few small batches to see if it is as easy as I remember then may just maybe I will make and give some out as holiday gifts, then who knows next year I might just have a booth at a craft show with this and other assorted homemade goods.  I have always enjoyed being a crafty person I like making things, and working with my hands.  I need to be able to do something productive and relax it is important to my health and the health of those around me.
One of the things I do like the most about being home each and every day is the ability to make more food at home.  I have been making meals, and buying less convenience food.  Our son is in a phase where he likes to eat Pancakes in the morning I can buy a large bag in the freezer section of my local big box store for just a few bucks. However for just $2 I can buy a mix then make the pancakes and freeze them.  I normally just pick a morning that I have time to make breakfast make us pancakes for breakfast then mix up more batter and start making pancakes, I place on a wire cookie cooling rack to cool then bag 3 to a stack in a Ziploc bag and put them in the freezer.  Just pop those in the microwave and you have fresh pancakes.  I have set a personal goal of eating out no more than 1 day a week by the end of the month.  We often find ourselves running around in the evening and it is just easier to grab something to go rather than cook at home.  This is going to stop for both our health and the health of our wallet.
I think being almost a month into the homeschooling things we are finally starting to find our groove.  Really looking forward to the ride at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment